Re-immigration to Italy

About an Italian engineer, formerly a part of the much-publicized brain drain, who has only recently come back to his country.

Name:
Location: Rome, Italy

10 November 2005

Italian design at work


The brightest of you must have noticed that I'm not always too kind with my country, and that I don't hesitate to give my people the sort of bashing they all too often seem to call for.

But I'm ready to recognize we're world class at so many things. And I wouldn't have come back to Italy if I didn't love this country.

There's one thing we're really, really good at: making cars. Forget about the shopping-trolley performance of Ferrari in Formula 1 this year: if you say sports car you say Italy. Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Lamborghini and, yes, even FIAT with its excellent new punto are companies we're proud of. But the most extreme, absurd and unreachable of all cars that we make, and the most awe-inspiring in its sheer beauty, is the one and only Lamborghini. Take care at the new Gallardo Spyder and you'll see what I mean.

And the web site doesn't even come close to describing what such a car actually looks like. Lambos rock so massively that even the police have bought one! (I shot the picture in Fiumicino airport some time last year.)

Well done, Lambo. And keep up the good work - we're proud of you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mac, our Police Dept didn't buy the lamborgini but it was simply a donation. It will be used to patrol highway but, most important, for blood and organs transmortation. Do you think our country has got money cash to buy a such beatiful and useless car without impacting our public debt?. You can tune an Alfa 156 and, beleive me, in terms of performance they are really close each other. Imagine the Gran Turismo Challenege where Alfa Romeo is one of the leader.

25 November, 2005 11:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home