Re-immigration to Italy

About an Italian engineer, formerly a part of the much-publicized brain drain, who has only recently come back to his country.

Name:
Location: Rome, Italy

24 September 2005

Going commercial today


When I was living in Finland I managed to get a DSL service without having any fixed phone line.

Fact is, in Finland a fixed phone will cost you more in flat subscription fees than your average mobile bill, which is why many people toss the thing down the wastedump and take good care of their Nokias (there's hardly another mobile phone brand in that country).

But today I will turn this post into an advertisement area.

Yessir, mac is going commercial, and quite cheap. Give me a couple of beers (possibly from some really talented beermakers such as Menabrea or Peroni and not the Carlsberg/Heineken/Warsteiner crap) and I'll be your friend for the rest of life. Now here's the story.

When I moved to Rome I wanted to get DSL as well and couldn't be bothered with fixed phone service either. Not that mobile calls are anywhere near as cheap here as in Finland (changing operator seems to do the trick though). But my company, you see, pays my personal calls as a part of their excuses for not giving me a higher salary, so the hell with a fixed phone line. Besides, you cannot switch off a fixed phone, it bears a bulky annoying presence in a shelf that could otherwise be occupied by nicer stuff such as wine bottles and condom boxes, and I hate the fact that someone might be calling my home and not me.

So I wanted DSL, as I said. When I was in the process of getting a connection I learned about a new service offering policy. I would call it useless service at rip-off prices without attention to customer needs.

Here is how to implement it:

- bribe politicians so that you keep control of the last mile and the law that is supposed to liberalize it never actually takes off;

- oblige whoever wants to open a DSL connection to open a fixed phone line;

- charge 100 euros for activation (what the fuck?!? the phone line was already there since the previous tenant had it until a couple of months before I requested it! what am I paying with those 100 euros?);

- charge 35 to 50 euros every two months as a basic subscription fee;

- unilaterally include several useless services in the subscription, and charge of them, without actually asking the customers whether they actually want them;

- make it so hard to get rid of those services that people prefer paying for them rather than having to send twenty-five faxes to twenty-five different numbers;

- grossly understaff your customer care and be careful to hire only spasticated morons who cannot recognize the difference between a telephone pole and a beautiful Italian lady.

So I have ended up paying 210 euros a year (310 euros the first year) for a service I don't use just because I want DSL. Of course, it took them only 93 days to actually come and install it, so they really compensate for their ugly bundling with efficient customer care. Ah, and the activation of a phone line was mandatory before you could even ask for an ADSL line, so I paid 93 days of totally unused phone service.

You're a smart reader, so you're probably interested in this business. It's profitable, allows you to achieve 0% customer decrease and you can organize top-management meetings in Valencia watching the America's Cup regatta rehearsals from a luxury yacht while entertaining your corporate customers at the expense of the families who need to have internet. Meanwhile, we're lagging behind all other European nations in numbers of internet connections per person.

So you may want more info on how to start a business like this. Naive request, but I'll reply: just check the Telecom Italia web site.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

24 September, 2005 03:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post Mac, I especially liked the "spasticated morons" (it could be an irvine welsh quote if it weren't for the "moron:)"

By the way, you seem to be falling pray of comment spamming, too bad. Is there no safe place in the internet?

30 September, 2005 10:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course I meant "falling prey"...

30 September, 2005 10:29  
Blogger MoClippa said...

Lebanon = 256k up 56 down broadband... Installation fee = $175
Monthly payment = $110 (175 if you want 512k down)

Constant server downtime, few if any hours a day of optimal use...

Limited incoming and outgoing connections that they cap without telling you about

Mysterious total download per month caps that are never announced, but you know you've hit them when for the rest of the month your connection is useless

---- I don't even want to discuss corporate costs because those run off into the thousands per month

------------------------
I was suprised that Finland of all places had a crack connection like that, would've thought the land of Nokia would have been able to manage something a lot better.... shows you how backwords corruption can throw a country...
but honestly you have it much better off!

16 May, 2006 10:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home